HOME > Local Administration> Local Administration
Raising the competitiveness of local governments with advanced administrative systems and sound financial management
Supporting capacity building and greater autonomy in local administration
- MOIS works closely with 244 local governments in Korea through administrative consultations and policy dialogues to strengthen capacity at the local level.
- Greater autonomy is granted to local governments in consideration of their organizational structures and fiscal conditions.
- Local governments have more authority in terms of carrying out regional development and tourism through delegation of affairs from the central government.
More autonomy and more responsibility for local governments
- The Ministry closely monitors local financial affairs with the implementation of public announcement and resident participation in the operation of local budget execution.
- We also support affairs related to prohibition of concurrent office for local councilmen, thus reinforcing civil service ethics in local governments.
- Productivity Index has been developed by our Ministry to encourage competition among local governments for better performance.
Creating more advanced local administrative system
- Local governments in collaboration with our Ministry pursues various reform efforts through the county-district-village amalgamation for functional alignment and administrative jurisdiction adjustment.
Central-local coordination on fiscal planning
- MOIS formulates local fiscal policies for the balanced development of local governments.
- We support strengthening inter-ministerial consultation on the coordination of local government expenditure.
- Also, we assist local government affairs in drafting mid-term local financial plans in connection with the national financial plan.
Promoting robust local finance management
- The Ministry regularly monitors fiscal conditions to identify local governments at financial risks.
- It is mandatory for at-risk local governments to formulate a master plan for sound fiscal system and disclose it to their residents and loans are strictly prohibited to these local governments until the risk factors have been resolved.
- Loans are strictly prohibited to these local governments until the risk factors have been resolved.