the body go topmenu go

HOME > What's New> News & Notices

News & Notices

Korea-Vietnam e-Government cooperation bolstered under New Southern Policy
Date : 2018.05.30 Read : 15962
Under the President Moon Jae-in’s New Southern Policy, cooperation in the field of e-government between Korea and Vietnam will be further reinforced. In particular, mutual cooperation in the field of e-government based infrastructure, e-document distribution and cyber security is expected to be bolstered, and Korea’s e-government will make accelerated inroads into ASEAN countries.

Minister of the Interior and Safety Kim Boo-kyum and Vietnamese Minister-Chairman of the Government Office Mai Tien Dung inked the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) for Cooperation on e-Government on May 25, at the Government Complex Seoul. 

As part of follow-ups to President Moon’s state visit to Vietnam in March, the signing of MOU was conducted upon the request by Vietnam. During the summit in March, H.E. Nguyen Xuan Phuc, Prime Minister of Vietnam, asked for President Moon Jae-in to push forward cooperation on e-government. 

Vietnam sent a delegation consisting of 20 members including Minister Mai Tien Dung, five director generals and CEOs of enterprises. The both sides held a meeting on e-government cooperation before the signing ceremony to explore specific areas of cooperation. 

At the meeting, Korea’s e-government experts including Director General Chung Yoon Kee of e-Government Bureau gave presentations on the areas of cooperation in which Vietnam showed interest, and then Q&A session followed. 

Areas of Interest (Vietnam): 1) improving e-government related laws and institutions (infrastructure); 2) establishing the National Data Center; 3) e-document distribution between central and local governments; 4) integrating and standardizing central-local database; and 5) sharing experiences on cyber security 

Minister Kim Boo-kyum noted that “As Vietnam holds a significant part in the New Southern Policy, I hope the signing of MOU will boost the exports of Korea’s e-government into the region.” “I will do my utmost to make Korea-Vietnam cooperation as a role model of cooperation for other ASEAN countries,” Minister Kim added.